Why It’s Important to Maintain Your Boiler

Old boiler roomYour boiler provides heat to your home, day in and day out. The home appliance, however, may put you at risk for carbon monoxide (CO) exposure. If a boiler doesn’t burn fuel properly due to lack of ventilation, it could release carbon monoxide and cause adverse health effects.

The Effects of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide has no smell, no taste and it is poisonous. The National Health Services (NHS) explains that breathing this gas can make you ill.

If you or someone you know gets exposed to CO, it could lead to severe complications such as brain damage and heart problem. A person who experiences CO poisoning could suffer from chest pains, seizures, breathlessness and loss of consciousness. Some people also develop long-term complications.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Exposure

There are ways to prevent CO poisoning. One of which is to identify the potential appliances that could leak carbon monoxide into your home.

Using the right tools like a brush for the chimney flue can make your boiler efficient for the coming years.

You can also install carbon monoxide alarms in your home. This will alert you in case there’s a CO leak in your home. But experts say that this detector isn’t a substitute for maintaining and servicing household appliances.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Treatment

In case of exposure to low-level carbon monoxide, it is essential that you consult your general practitioner. If the case is severe, you can go to the local accident and emergency department.

Apart from your symptoms, a blood test will determine the amount of carboxyhaemoglobin in your blood. But the result will be harder to interpret for people who smoke because the level of their carboxyhaemoglobin is higher than normal.

You will also undergo therapies such as oxygen therapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy. The treatment will depend on the level of exposure you experienced. The recovery time varies based on the level of exposure as well.