3 Frequently Asked Questions about Child Support

Girl resting her head on father's shoulder

Most couples are not prepared for divorce. No one probably is, and things are further complicated when a couple has a kid. This is why it is sensible to talk things through with your soon-to-be former spouse to make an amicable settlement, rather than going to the court proceedings heavy with divorce drama.

Below are some frequently asked questions when you are approaching the end of a marriage and are thinking of getting a divorce:

Who gets custody of the child?

Certain things need to be considered when it comes to who gets child custody. According to a child support attorney from The Burnham Law Firm, P.C. in Denver, it is important to take into account who cares for the child and whose custody he or she would benefit from the most. The parents can come to an agreement (with or without the presence of their attorney) before the divorce proceedings.

Sometimes, the court decides which parent gets to have custody of the child. Your child also has a right to choose as to who wins their custody, especially when they reach or are already of legal age.

What happens when your ex-spouse doesn’t want to pay for child support?

There may be a reason that your ex isn’t paying up. Ask your ex if money is the problem and if it’s possible that he or she can come up with some of the amount to share the expenses of rearing your child. If your ex isn’t paying child support due to negligence and would not want to cooperate, you can request a motion for enforcement at your local court.

When does a mother pay for child support?

The mother has to pay for child support if the father was awarded custody of the child. A growing number of custodial parents are fathers based on 2011 U.S. Census Bureau data, but not all of them have the financial ability to support their children.

If you recently got divorced, a child support lawyer can help you sort out any potential problems. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with one to receive the proper legal help that you need.